The Cathay Drug Co., Inc.
MEPRESONE 4 mg
Each tablet contains:
Methyprednisolone 4 mg
MEPRESONE 16 mg
Each tablet contains:
Methylprednisolone 16 mg
Methylprednisolone is a glucocorticoid, prednisolone derivative which has the same activity and use as the main compound. Methylprednisolone has no sodium retention properties like other glucocorticoids.
For the treatment of conditions in which corticosteroid therapy is indicated except in adrenocortical-deficiency states where hydrocortisone with supplementary fludrocortisone is preferred.
- Systemic fungal infections and known hypersensitivity to the drug
- Long-term administration of this drug is contraindicated in patients with peptic ulcer, severe osteoporosis and patients with a history of psychosis and herpes
- Patients who undergo immunization procedure
Dosage and Administration
Initial dosage of methylprednisolone may vary from 4-48 mg daily. Single dose or multiple doses depend on the condition being treated.
160 mg daily orally for 1 week, then 64 mg/two days for 1 month.
Oral 0.117 mg/kg body weight or 3.33 mg/m2/day of surface body wide in 3 or 4 divided doses.
Oral 0.417-1.67 mg/kg body weight or 12.5-50 mg/m2/day of surface body wide/day in 3-4 divided doses.
Or as prescribed by a physician.
Adverse effects occur in prolonged use or in high doses eg, fluid and electrolyte disturbances, muscle weakness, impaired wound healing, increased blood pressure, posterior subcapsular cataracts, suppression of growth in children, adrenal insufficiency, cushing’s syndrome, osteoporosis and peptic ulcer.
Warnings and Precautions
- Not recommended in pregnant women and nursing mother, except if clearly needed. Infants born to mothers who have received substantial doses of corticosteroid during pregnancy should be carefully monitored for symptoms of adrenal insufficiency.
- While on corticosteroid therapy, patients should not be vaccinated against smallpox or other immunization procedures especially on high doses because of possible hazards of neurological complications.
- The drug is not recommended for infants and children because prolonged use of corticosteroid may suppress growth.
- If corticosteroids are indicated in patients with latent tuberculosis or tuberculin reactivity, close supervision is necessary as reactivation of the disease may occur.
- Corticosteroid effects may increase in patients with hypothyroidism or cirrhosis.
- Corticosteroids should be used cautiously in patients with ocular herpes simplex for fear of corneal perforation.
- Corticosteroids may mask symptoms of infection.
- Prolonged use of corticosteroids may decrease resistance and inability to localize infections.
- It is recommended to administer concomitantly with food to minimize gastrointestinal irritation.
- Administered concomitantly with other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or antirheumatic drugs may cause gastrointestinal hemorrhage.
- When administered concomitantly with antidiabetic drugs, the dosage should be adjusted.
- Patients who undergo smallpox vaccination or other immunization procedures especially at high doses.
Foods, Drugs, Devices and Cosmetics Act prohibits dispensing without prescription.
Store at temperatures not exceeding 30OC. Protect from light.
Methylprednisolone (Mepresone) 4 mg Tablet:
Box of 10 blisters x 10 tablets
Methylprednsolone (Mepresone) 16 mg Tablet
Box of 5 strips x 6 tablets
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
PT DEXA MEDICA
Jl. Bambang Utoyo 138
Glorious Dexa Mandaya Inc.
W-0702 Tektite Towers Condominium
Ortigas Center, Brgy. San Antonio
Pasig, Metro Manila
THE CATHAY DRUG CO., INC.
120 Amorsolo St.
Legaspi Village, Makati City
Date of Revision: July 2019